CHEVERLY POLICE DEPARTMENT
ENTRY LEVEL SUPERVISOR (CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIVE DIVISION)
The Cheverly Police Department is seeking qualified applicants to fill an Entry Level Supervisor position in our Criminal Investigative Division (CID).
This is an entry-level, supervisory, role responsible for directing all criminal and background investigations, and supervising the personnel assigned to the Criminal Investigative Division. They will be responsible for leading and training subordinate staff in the performance of a variety of functions. Most work will be performed independently, with general supervision, and will be evaluated in terms of quality, completeness, and accuracy. This position may be required to work rotating shifts, weekends, or holidays. This position will carry an “on-call” status and may be required to report in for special assignments/operations as required.
General Examples of Duties (illustrative only)
- Be responsible for the effective performance of the following:
- Investigation of crimes committed in the Town of Cheverly
- Identification and apprehension of criminals
- Recovery of stolen property
- Oversight of programs that require in-depth investigations
- Apprehension of high profile or violent criminals
- May be required to participate in traffic or special assignments as determined by the Command Staff
- Develop programs to foster close cooperation with municipal, county, state, and federal agencies, as well as officers of the patrol unit, in the investigation and solution of crimes
- Develop programs or ideas to support the flow of information to and from the CID
- Maintain hours of duty in accordance with the need of the Division
- Maintain familiarity with laws, ordinances, policies, procedures, and regulations that may be applicable to the department, while ensuring their enforcement
- Develop programs designed to promote citizen participation in the prevention and solution of crimes, and apprehension of suspects
- Prepare required reports on the activities of the CID and ensure their timely submittal
- Be up to date on crime trends within the community as a means formulating crime prevention techniques
- Conduct background investigations for the purpose of employment suitability
- Conduct interviews, utilizing a variety of resources, for the purpose of collecting information
- Perform record checks and queries, utilizing databases, a variety of institutions, and other law enforcement agencies as a means of solving crimes and producing leads
Specific Examples of Duties
In addition to the general duties, the Detective Master Corporal will be responsible for rating or appraising subordinates. This position will be expected to produce Performance Appraisals, counsel subordinates, and provide performance improvement recommendations, as necessary. When directed by the Chief of Police, they shall be responsible for the investigation of internal or disciplinary complaints, as observed by them or as assigned by the Chief of police.
Essential Functions, Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The requirements listed, by default, are not all-inclusive. This position requires the ability to communicate in English, clearly and concisely, in both written and spoken form. In addition, candidates must be able to hear, understand, issue, and follow complex, oral directions, and intricate commands.
Candidates must be able to read and interpret a multitude of laws, read and understand local government structure and functions, as well as departmental written directives. As well as apply principles to solve problems and analyze situations quickly and objectively.
Required Licenses and Certifications
- Valid Class “C” driver’s license
- MPTSC/MPCTC Certifications
Let’s block ads! (Why?)